Are y'all sick of reading about Calibre yet? Other than the fact that no one can seem to agree on whether or not the name is supposed to be capitalized, that is, including me. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't, and I can't see that a definitive agreement has been reached among the good folks at Mobile Read, Calibre's unofficial home.
Anyway, I let my brain recover for a few days, and have now started on my Paranormal/Fantasy books. The whole genre thing is causing me some OCD anxiety though. It seems I have two fairly distinct types going: Straight urban fantasy, like the Dresden Files and Kim Harrison's Hollows series, and then the lighter, funnier, more romantic and/or sexy stuff....Annette Blair's Melody Seabright series, and the various Mary Janice Davidson series.
I've already set up multiple libraries in Calibre (I didn't want to use tags, more OCD), and right now I have the main one, named the default "CalibreLibrary" , which is the one with all my Cozies in it, and one for Paranormal named "CalibreLibraryP". The question is should I split further and separate the lighter stuff from the urban fantasy? I haven't decided yet, and if I do that, since I've already started putting the UF stuff in "CalibreLibraryP" what am I going to call the other category? "CalibreLibraryPR"?
According to Kovid, version 7.15 of Calibre, due out this weekend, is supposed to simplify multiple libraries even more. I'm looking forward to seeing what he's come up with this time.
Another neat thing: Li'l Bit (the Asus T91MT that is my main reading device, for new readers here), is great, but has limited storage space. What I had been doing was copying books over from my desktop onto an 8 gig SD card and using Calibre's (I know, I know...) ebook viewer to read them on Li'l Bit. Well, I discovered that if I point the Calibre install on Li'l Bit to the folder on the desktop that contains the Calibre library (ies), I can access everything through our home network that way, without having to put anything on Li'l Bit to take up more room, and I can also still switch between libraries. This only works if I'm at home and in range of our wireless router, of course. But that's no different than having to load up an SD card for any other reader when you know you're going to be traveling.
Even with Li'l Bit, and even though I said I was never going back to a device that only handled limited formats, I find myself wanting both a Kindle 3 and a nook (now that one I know isn't supposed to be capitalized, but it still offends my grammarian's soul). Now that the prices have come down so much, it is financially feasible, and the reason for both is that there are still some things you can't get anywhere but at Amazon, due to publisher's not realizing (or more likely, not caring) that they are damaging their author's sales by not making those ebook releases as widely available as possible. There still really is not a good "all round" reader that handles all ebook formats and is reasonably priced. What I'd actually like to see is a tablet in the 7 - 9 inch range running WebOS. There are two ebook reading applications for WebOS, that have all the features and format capability to make a tablet form factor ebook reader running those a dream machine.
Join us on Facebook!
5 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment