Sunday, August 8, 2010

BlackBerry vs. Palm WebOS

  Here's a confession. Although I've loved the BlackBerry O/S,  I can't say I've enjoyed the Storm 2 all that much.  I hate the SurePress technology on it, and using the browser is an exercise in frustration with a touchscreen phone. Or at least with this particular touchscreen.  When I had to confess to Chris that I refused to try to do anything using the Storm 2's browser,  he said, "Well, then it's time for you a different phone." 

As I told Chris, I don't even need a browser on a phone, but I was seduced by the other smartphone capabilities and storage.  I personally think a browser on a device with such a small screen is just asking for frustration and temptation to throw said device across a room.  Add BlackBerry's SurePress to the mix and ...ooops. (No, I haven't thrown the BlackBerry across any rooms. But I can sure see why someone with less patience and more money would).

Since we have been needing to add another line to our plan anyway, so Jay can have a phone again,  today spontaneously became phone shopping day.  I was going for something that had the music, camera, and calendar capability of a smart phone, but not necessarily the web capability.  And something that I liked the looks of and the form factor.  And that of course, had ebook reading capability.  Well - you can have two of those, or you can have all three of those, but you can't leave the web browser out of the mix, apparently.   I explained to Chris that since they don't make said device, that as long as he doesn't expect me to USE the web browsing capability, if we could just find something I could type on, (along with aforementioned music, camera, ebook, and calendar capability) I'd be happy.  Unfortunately, BlackBerry doesn't make anything that fit the bill.

Soooo....Sometime on Tuesday, Fed Ex should be delivering a Palm Pre Plus.  Why did I go from BlackBerry to Palm, you ask?   Well....I'm female. I love the looks and form factor of the Pre Plus.  AND...bonus here....There's an app. for Palm WebOS called Popelli Reader -  http://www.precentral.net/homebrew-apps/palm-reader-ebook-reader  that apparently reads almost EVERYTHING - which is more than you can find for BlackBerry, and so that makes me very happy.  The Pre Plus also comes with a 16 gig SD card (as did the Storm 2), so I'm good with storage for both music AND books.  The music player, hopefully, isn't awful, because that's the one facet of it that I didn't get to test.  I do know it has playlist capability, which is important to me.  We'll see how it goes...

No comments:

Post a Comment