Monday, May 7, 2012

Well, back to normal....

...or as normal as I ever get, anyway! Which basically means back to books for awhile.  I'm reading Jeanne Kalogridis' "The Devil's Queen: A Novel of Catherine de Medici".  And one throwaway line caught my eye, suggesting a link between Catherine de Medici and Lucrezia Borgia.  Now remember, I was raised in the Texas Panhandle, where they taught Texas history (which still fascinates me), not Italian history.  We may have touched on the Borgias long enough for me to figure out they ruled Italy or parts of Italy at one time, but that was about the extent of it. And that was back in the dark ages and 3 years of a Bachelor's degree ago - giving me plenty of time to forget anything I ever actually knew about them, and lots of other stuff I had to remember that may have pushed long ago Borgia/de Medici history out of my head. 
So today I'm researching the de Medicis and the Borgias and finding a whole lot of entertaining historic trivia and a whole lot of revisionist history writing.

Somewhere on that rabbit trail, I ran into a mention of Charlotte MacLeod/Alisa Craig, which reminded me that I REALLY need to re-collect all of her titles.  I'd love to have them in ebook formats, of course, but they don't seem to be available that way... I dimly remember finding an ebook copy of The Balloon Man a few years back, which I promptly bought, but a letter to the listed publisher went unanswered, and I am unsure how to find out who holds a deceased author's publication rights.  So if anyone has any thoughts on that, I'd love to hear them, so I can bug said rights-holders into getting those titles out in ebook. 

In news of my other obsessions, I lucked into a BPAL forumite who was selling a complete set of the Labyrinth decants!  I snapped those right up, and they should be getting here today or tomorrow. I'm very excited to try them, though some of the reviews for Jareth concern me, as it is compared to another scent, Dorian, that just doesn't work on me at all. 

My work schedule is a little different this week, and I'm actually looking forward to it. Only one Desk shift, which is tonight, and then two 8 - midnight shifts on Wed. and Fri.  Whew, a break from Desk! I love the night shifts, except for the thrice cursed floor buffer, anyway. 

So, all in all, it's looking like a good week here.  Hope yours is, as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment