Sunday, March 14, 2010

BlackBerry vs. BlackBerry

I've had two BlackBerry Curves in a row.  I got the first one because up until then, Chris and I had had matching cell phones (first Razrs and then LG Envy 1's).  Then he decided he wanted more net access than what the Envy could give him and made the jump to BlackBerry.  I fell in love with his, so we got me one off eBay.  That one I loved, but the screen was glitchy.  So, when it came time for me to upgrade via our provider, I just went for another Curve.  Recently, Chris went to a BlackBerry Tour, and that was the impetus for me to start looking to see what was out there other than a Curve for me.  I waffled back and forth for a long time - I wanted more screen real estate for (what else?) reading ebooks, but I wasn't at all sure about a touchscreen interface.  We text a LOT, and I need to be able to type at least fairly quickly on any phone I have.  Then once I decided I could deal with a touchscreen (due in large part to me being so happy with Li'l Bit's touchscreen), it was down to which operating system. Stick with the known and loved BlackBerry O/S or jump to Windows Mobile on an HTC phone?  I really hate to admit it, but Amazon made the decision for me by releasing Kindle for BlackBerry before Kindle for WinMo.

So, today was it. We went and got me a BlackBerry Storm 2.  It has BlackBerry O/S 5.0 on it, which is the latest and greatest.  There are some changes to the known and much-loved (at least by me) media player interface.  BlackBerry had me at hello with that.  My first one replaced my mp3 player instantly.  The changes in 5.0 actually make some tasks easier, so I'm a happy camper.  I'm also finding that my fears about the touchscreen on such a small area were largely unfounded. Or maybe it's just because I have such small hands.  Whatever the reason - I can see me getting LOTS of enjoyment out of this gadget, and not only for it's main purpose of cell phone.

Oh, and something I find funny? It comes with a 16 gig (yes, GIG) SD card.  That's half the capacity of the solid state drive in Li'l Bit....

1 comment:

  1. I bought the Blackberry Tour only because I wasn't sure of the touchscreen.

    Have fun with your new Blackberry.

    ReplyDelete