Sunday, October 24, 2010

Will they or won't they?

The rumors are, Barnes and Noble are unveiling a color Nook on Tuesday.  The evidence I've read has been pretty convincing, not to mention a post at Mobile Read from a B&N employee that lays out his reasons for thinking a color Nook is in the works.  Now CNET has posted a link to a page on the B&N website for a screen protector for a color Nook with an image. 
The buzz at MR is mostly positive, although for the rumored price, the screen almost would have to be LCD, which is bad in terms of battery life.  No one even has rumors about that, though, so I guess B&N could pull a rabbit out of a hat and surprise everyone.  Amazon is apparently worried, since they announced their version of B&N's LendMe feature this week.
Now here's MY take.
If the picture at CNET is the real deal, or even an artist's rendering of the real deal, it's a pretty gadget.  But it's not going to be, nor is it intended to be an Android tablet.  That, in my opinion, has been the reason for the epic fail of both the Pandigital Novel and the Augen The Book.  Everyone expected them to be a mini iPad, and they were never intended to be that. They were intended to be ebook readers, and only ebook readers. Period.  I myself love the brightness and color when reading on an LCD screen.  Not to mention the eye candy of having my cover art in color, but even I will admit that LCD battery life is definitely not optimal, especially since those of us who have e-ink devices have gotten used to a week or more between charges. That being said, I'd love to see B&N pull a rabbit out of a hat and shock everyone, especially Amazon.  I don't know how exactly that's possible, but I would really love to see it.  Amazon left standing with their pants down, holding out their version of LendMe...well....for the record here:  
LendMe is useless.  You can loan the book ONCE, and only ONCE, EVER, for a period of 14 days.  And that's it, for your lifetime.  
LCD or not, there will be some takers.  Even though I'm thoroughly in love with my Sony, and now don't even want a Nook (at least not without a hefty list of changes),  I'm intrigued to see what happens on Tuesday. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm interested in seeing what it is too. I was watching the new Kobo as well. (It had a few improvements on the one I got. . .but not enough to make me drool.) I have to say the current Nook did not thrill me much.

    At this point, I'm curious to see the new stuff coming out, but I'm happy with the Kobo - though next time I am definitely going for the Sony. :) (next time - I'm assuming I won't need a new reader for at LEAST two years. . .lol) But its still good to keep an eye on the new ones.

    And you're right. That lend-me thing sounds utterly pointless. Sheesh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I knew B&N was coming out with something, but not this.

    ReplyDelete