As anyone who knows me can tell you, I'm not really a girly-girl. But I get in these moods....where makeup and nail polish, a new hairstyle and new clothes sound soooo good. Been there recently, as a matter of fact. Fortunately for my disposition, this time around I've actually been able to indulge. Well, except for the makeup, which Chris hates and so I very seldom wear. But I've started trying to keep my nails done - I love the "unusual" colors that have a hint of fun in them... like denim blue to match my work shirt, but I also love the more traditional coppery tones for autumn. I've found the Pure Ice brand at Walmart has lots of luscious and fun colors! And at 2 bucks a bottle, it's an affordable indulgence...
My hair and I have an ongoing battle going. I like it long (I look completely stupid with short hair), but Chris likes it even longer, *laugh* And while I like being able to pull it back for work, I also want to be able to wear it down and it not be completely boring. I'm also really bad about just getting lazy and letting it go...and go...and go...before I'll get frustrated enough to do something, and then when I want it done, I want it done RIGHT THEN. This doesn't usually work out so well, as my "RIGHT THEN" usually isn't timed right with when salons are open or we have money! However, this time it worked out and I'm sporting a pretty new hairstyle. Still long, but added sideswept bangs and a side part. Easy to maintain, and looks like I put some work into it, even though I didn't. And the top is still long enough I can put it up. Success! Now if I can just keep it colored...
I was raised in Texas by a Southern mother. She didn't go as far as the whole "no white shoes after Labor Day" stuff, but she had certain ideas of a bare minimum for a wardrobe. I had let it get to what she would have considered desperation point: I owned two pair of jeans that fit, one pair of work pants, and one pair of ragged sweatpants that fit right. And my t-shirts were mostly either stained or had a hole somewhere strategic. Lucky for me, I have a husband who thinks that clothes are a necessity, not a luxury, and also knows that if left to my own devices, I won't buy anything. So, with his encouragement, I've fixed the wardrobe problem very nicely. For example, I went to go remedy the sweatpants problem...and came home with not only two pair of sweatpants, but two long sleeved t-shirts to match, plus a grey ombre drapey cardigan - and that was only the first stop that day! The complete haul, as of yesterday has been (besides the aforementioned): two long sleeved thermal knit shirts, one in terracotta, one in a pretty sage-y green; two pair of jeans that fit,one in black and one in faded stonewash, one pair of khaki cargo pants for work (and can also be worn for other things), one black ruana, in crochet, and a new pair of work shoes. I've also been trying to combat my Scottish soul's penchant for all black and gray stuff, because it doesn't stain and it all goes together...but I get tired of looking like I'm perpetually on my way to a funeral!
Anyway, for a change I'm feeling rather well put together... still looking for a pair of ankle boots to go with weekend jeans though...
Join us on Facebook!
5 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment