Friday, February 19, 2010

Why am I reading three books at once?

...and am I getting the most out of any of them by doing it this way? 

In my typical backwards fashion, I'm going to answer the second question first and tell you that I don't have an answer!  Considering that I'm fighting a cold while attempting to keep up with the plots of three books, I suspect that the answer is probably "no". 

The "why" is a little easier.  I received my ARC of "Truly, Madly" from Goodreads last week.  I love Heather Webber's other series, and I've been hearing about this new one with Lucy Valentine for months, so I was eager to start it so I could post my review on Goodreads, which is requested if you win from them.  The day before "Truly, Madly" arrived, though, I had already started 'Town in a Blueberry Jam" by B. B. Haywood. I didn't want to just abandon that one...so then there were two.  And THEN... Dana Stabenow's 17th Kate Shugak novel, "A Night Too Dark" was released before I had time to finish either of the other two books.  Anyone who knows me at all knows that that one wasn't going to wait over two seconds from the time I got in my hot little hands.  So, that's why I'm currently reading three books at once. 
At the moment, all I can tell you is that "Truly, Madly" is a delight, and that "A Night Too Dark" had me laughing so hard last night that Chris (who was in the shower at the time) thought something was seriously wrong with me.  Once I convinced him it was all Dana's fault *evil grin* he was content to finish his shower and let me laugh.  

I'm not good at book reviews.  I know what I like, but as for critiquing writing styles and plot strategies, no thanks.  So y'all will probably hear about what I'm reading and what I like or don't like about it, but please, by no means take it as a definitive review!

3 comments:

  1. I'm waiting for my library to get Dana's new book, especially since there is a laugh out loud moment in the book.

    I've read the other two books and I enjoyed both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Shel! What a super looking blog! I love it! I look forward to reading all your thoughts about the books you read...just can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I often read 2, 3 or even 4 books at a time. Not usually sick, though, so I can't say if that might interfere with getting the most out of each. Why I do it is another matter. i tend to have one by my bed, one by my desk, etc and will pick up whichever I"m closest to at the time I want to read a bit. Hey, it works. :)

    ReplyDelete