Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Another calibre type project...

Like I needed one!  Oh well.  I'm in the process of being multi-operating-system educated, *laugh*.   I'm now dual booting Mac and Windows 7, trying to get some experience with Mac.  I do like it, I have to admit.  And amazingly enough, one of the things I really, really like is....wait for it.... are you sitting down?....is iTunes.  
That program is almost universally reviled, as far as one can tell from reading forum posts and Facebook posts, and even I hated it the first few times I tried to use it.  But I have to say that for pure music organization, it's very nice.
This brings me to the project part.... I have an extensive music collection, spread across country, new age, pop, soundtracks, and a few other miscellaneous things.  Right now I have it sorted by genre/artist/album.  Well, I started putting it into iTunes and discovered that it's actually a LOT like calibre in it's sorting capabilities, and it gives me the chance to straighten out my ID3 tags pretty close to in bulk.  I have to of course straighten out song titles individually - but let's say I have a folder of songs that I got individually that make up an album.  I can select them all, and then group them by album.  I can also make groups of singles, like with the iTunes tracks from the Glee episodes that don't appear on the Glee albums.  
So now I'm in the process of adding this extensive music collection to iTunes and straightening out track names and album names.... and enjoying it.
The older I get the more OCD I get about file organization, I guess.  Anyway, at the moment I have all my Glee stuff added, plus singles, and have started on my country collection, which is probably  my most extensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment