Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Perfume bottle and cap primer

After my last post, it occurred to me, that I may have lost a few people who aren't "into" the perfume oil world, so I thought I'd put together a post about what sorts of alternatives are out there for both closing perfume oil bottles, and applying said oil.

As I mentioned in the last post, Chris nagged me into buying wand caps.  Okay, so what's a wand cap?  Well, pretty much what it sounds like... it's a cap with a glass wand attached.  The glass wand dips down into the oil, and makes it easy to apply without getting too much, or contaminating the oil with your fingers.  There's still a limited amount of skin contact that goes on when using wand caps, but it's a lot less than dipping your fingers in there every time!  This is a wand cap:







Wand caps are great to have (and I got my order today, so now all my bottles except for three are wandcapped).  But there's all sorts of alternatives.  I was using swizzle sticks.  These are actually maybe even better for not contaminating your oils,  because you can throw them away after using them to apply an oil.  If you've got a bottle of oil that you're not sure you want to keep, use a disposable method when testing it, so as to avoid skin contamination for the next person.  Here's the swizzle sticks I was using that Chris threw a fit over - and I guess it would be kind of odd if you didn't know what they were for, to see a package of cocktail swizzle sticks on the dresser of someone who doesn't drink....


Now, what about those three bottles I just said don't have wand caps?  Why don't they?  Well, Conjure Oils packages their bottles a little differently.  They include an insert, called a reducer, with their bottles that keeps the oil from coming out all at once should it get turned over without a lid on.  These are my two Conjure Oils bottles with reducer caps:


The third bottle that doesn't have a wandcap is one of the smaller ones from Arcana.  The 3.7 ml vials have a smaller bottle circumference, so a wand cap won't fit, they're too big.  However, I was thrilled to find that a wand cap fit on my bigger bottle of Pomona from Midnight Gypsy, which is 7.5 ml.

After wandcapping all my bottles today, I have six wand caps left over; but I also have three more bottles of perfume on the way.  So that will leave me three wand caps left over before I need to order another batch.  I'll probably order more when I place my next BPAL order, which won't be too long, because I need a bottle of this year's Pumpkin V, and if I'm already paying shipping, wand caps might as well come along for the ride.

And last but not least, here's the current bottle stash.  This will be increased by three bottles when the rest of my orders get here over the next two weeks.  Currently I am waiting on my Blooddrop order for Smoldering, and my Haunt order for Fates and Palmist.  I have a shipping notice for Blooddrop, which  means I should see it by Monday at the latest,  and according to Haunt's Facebook page, she's shipping orders placed around the same time I placed mine this weekend.



The astute reader will probably have noticed that I had a bottle riding along with the wand caps.  Eat Me v. 6 arrived safely, and I'll get a review up for it (along with the frimps), in a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment