I'm tired. It's time for our bi-annual "move-stuff-around-a-thon". It doesn't necessarily go by the calendar, we just do it when the mood strikes, which is usually about twice a year. This is a small house, but it's got a pretty cool layout. There are two rooms that are interchangeable: one behind the kitchen and one to the south side of the kitchen. We've used them both for the dining room, our home office, and a spare bedroom. Right now, the room on the south side of the kitchen is being used as a combination dining room/sewing room. The room behind the kitchen now houses all our music stuff: a keyboard, two bass guitars, a regular guitar and my flute. And the second bedroom (since we don't need a spare room anymore) is our home office.
But anyway, about twice a year we decide that we need a change and start rearranging things. This time it entailed getting rid of some things and adding some others. We got rid of the futon that used to be our living room couch, my old corner desk, and our old bedframe, and added a very nice tall bookshelf (even with ebooks the physical books keep accumulating, especially when you add school textbooks), and a smaller worktable for Chris.
Accomplishing this was harder than it sounds.
Chris brought home from work several years ago, a huge Sauder hutch/desk. The thing is built like a tank. He used it as his main desk for years, until he went to a dual monitor setup and the hutch interfered with that. So since then I swear that thing has been moved back and forth four or five times, and each time we swear we're never moving it again. At this point, I think when we move out of this house, that desk is staying! It's been through several incarnations of usefulness. This time it's housing the computer in the music room (we have a Mac in there with Garage Band and Logic Pro on it for recording). But until about an hour ago, it's been in the office, taking up way too much space and providing us a horizontal place to put stuff on, which we end up doing with every horizontal space in this house. So that had to be moved. I also have a beautiful wood writing desk that we got free with my big desk (scratch and dent special, but I love it and it's beautiful). Chris was scared it would get scratched worse in the music room, so it is now in the dining room/sewing room, with a sturdy tablecovering on it and holding my sewing machine. Those were the two biggest headaches to move, I thought - until we went to move my doll case back to the living room from the office (where Chris thought it would go well with the new bookshelf, and then we changed out minds). In the move back to the living room, the top popped off the doll case. Chris panicked.
He got it fixed with a lot of swearing and some superglue, and actually he was more upset than I was.
Now everything is, hopefully, moved, except for the corner desk which is being picked up tomorrow. Then I can finish putting the dining room back together and start the cleanup of all the things we displaced that now need new homes. I hate this part...
Join us on Facebook!
5 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment